The Imposter is Among Us...

Yeah, that's right. The Imposter is Among Us.

It isn't just a game. It's happening in real time, in real life.

Imposter Syndrome, or 'Perceived Fraudulance' as many experts call it, is a common psychological phenomenon that affects many people irrespective of their social status or profession. It is characterized by doubt, inadequacy, and self-doubt despite achieving significant success in one's career. In this blog post, we will explore what Imposter Syndrome is, its causes and effects, ways to overcome it, and a little about my relationship with it.

Imposter Syndrome is a psychological pattern where an individual doubts their abilities, skills, and accomplishments, and feels like a fraud. They believe they do not deserve the success they have achieved and attribute their accomplishments to luck or external factors such as connections or good timing. This syndrome can affect anyone, from students to professionals in various fields, including business, academia, creative arts, and sports.

The causes of Imposter Syndrome are complex and can be attributed to different factors such as personality traits, upbringing, cultural expectations, and societal pressure. People who have high expectations of themselves or have experienced early success are likelier to experience Imposter Syndrome. The effects of Imposter Syndrome can be significant and can lead to low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, and burnout. People with Imposter Syndrome tend to avoid new challenges and opportunities for fear of being exposed as frauds, which can limit their growth and potential.

Overcoming Imposter Syndrome can be a challenging but rewarding process. The first step is to recognize and acknowledge that you are experiencing Imposter Syndrome. Once you have identified the problem, you can start to challenge your negative beliefs and thoughts by focusing on your achievements and strengths. It is also essential to seek support from friends, family, mentors, or a therapist who can provide encouragement and help you gain perspective on your situation. Additionally, you can practice self-care by setting realistic goals, maintaining a healthy work-life balance, and learning new skills that can boost your confidence.


Imposter Syndrome is a common experience that affects many people, and it is essential to recognize its symptoms and take steps to overcome it. By challenging negative beliefs, seeking support, and practicing self-care, you can overcome Imposter Syndrome and achieve your full potential. Remember that success is not just about achieving your goals but also about embracing your strengths, learning from your failures, and enjoying the journey.

So far, this was just an explanation of Imposter Syndrome. But this is where I come in. Grab your napkins cuz this might get emotional.

You see, I was in a private school as a kid. All through Preschool,1st grade, and half of the 2nd grade, I was in an expensive Private school. I was also the topper of my class and had a ton of friends. Basically, I had everything. And I was happy. But then we had to move, and because we had to move so often, I enrolled in a government school this time. But instead of getting into 2nd grade, I was moved up to 3rd grade because of my exceptional grades (someone is getting narcissistic). I was fine with catching up. Even though I wasn't a topper, I got pretty good grades.

But as 4th grade rolled around, we had to move again. This was the second move in under 2 years. But I was still fine with it, as, you know, I was still 9 and pretty naive.

We moved not too far away, but I still had to switch schools. I got into the 4th grade of this new school, and to be honest, I loved it. It was very different from my previous, depressing school. I made tons of new friends. And I started doing well academically again. I ranked first in both 4th and 5th grade. But then 6th grade was really bad, and 7th was even worse. In 8th grade, things started looking up, and then in 9th, all the progress went down the drain.

I won't get into what happened in 9th grade, but all in all, I wasn't excelling academically, and I wasn't as popular as before. It was just a really messy situation for my brain to handle. All of this contributed to my already low self-esteem. I developed major anxiety (I still get attacks from time to time)  

All of this led to me being extremely depressed.



And that in return led to me being someone who has to deal with Imposter Syndrome on a daily basis. Now, even when I am doing really well, I never truly accept a compliment (not that I receive many but...). I always think that the person giving me a compliment wants something in return. I never know how to react to a compliment if one comes my way. Like do I smile and say thank you like a narcissist? Or do I deny it just to get reassured by another compliment like a 'pick me' girl? I think you get my point. 

So I guess we can all agree, that humans are freaking weird.

And that my desk is messy.

Comments

  1. I hope this didn't get too personal. But I just needed to get these things out.
    I hope ya'll enjoy this one and I'll see ya next monday. Much love <3
    AyGee

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my point of view, what I believe is this syndrome mainly enters somebody due to sudden success or being hyped in a negative environment.
    Great blog as always ! (Lol I m not imposing another panic attack into you , but yes u are pretty good)

    Also u said it ryt that we human is a weirdo
    P.s my room is also messy 😐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, thank you soo much... these kinda comments mean a lot to me. Stay tuned for some exciting posts coming soon.

      Delete
  3. Loved it ! Waiting for another one soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming with new content soon...

      Delete
  4. Hey u are back ! Nice one as always
    (Lol , u don't really need to reply and get into a heart attack)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao, thank you... (Not ma dumbass still replying)

      Delete
  5. This life is messy so are humans. Its pretty much same everywhere, with new place comes new problem and the changes make us either  comfortable or just a complete freak.
    My wishes are with you. Hoping that with time you will be fine and yeah i guess blogging is fun , right ?

    REPLY


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tough times...

venting...

why?...